Sharon Diefendorf, Youth Advisor
Foothills UMC has a very active, mission-driven youth group. The group is a blend of churched and un-churched youth, ages 10 – high school graduation. We are committed to being God’s hands and feet in the community and the world. We strive to provide an environment that is open and caring, where youth can feel God’s love and acceptance no matter what their circumstances are!
We meet twice each month from September to June as well as once in the summer for a picnic.
Our missions have included (but are certainly not limited to) the following:
1. Hosted many Halloween parties for the Sunday School
2. Filled Shoeboxes for Samaritan’s Purse’s “Operation Christmas Child”
3. Provided Christmas gifts for needy families
4. Sponsored Easter egg hunts for Sunday School children as well as sponsoring an Easter breakfast buffet between Easter Sunday Services.
5. Created care kits for the Domestic Violence Shelter.
6. Created a “coat project” in which the youth collected coats and left them in parks in Gloversville for needy people to take.
7. Participate yearly in World Vision’s 30- hour famine – The youth fast together to raise awareness of and money for the hungry in the world. In 2005, when we did our first famine, 29,000 people were dying each day from hunger related illnesses. Today, that number has been reduced to 8000! 21,000 people are living each day due to the efforts of youth groups across the country! Ours included!
8. Participated in many Crop Walks for hunger
9. Participated in clean up efforts after the floods in Montgomery County.
10. Provided “goody bags” to homeless teens in our community through Captain’s Table of Clifton Park, NY.
Our group would love to see new faces! Please contact the church office at 518-725-9611 for more information! We look forward to seeing you!